A power of attorney cannot be made if you have lost capacity. This is why it is essential to put it into place whilst you are fit and healthy.
However, if you do lose capacity and do not have a power of attorney in place, someone can make an application to the Court of Protection to be appointed as your ‘Deputy’.
What is a ‘Deputy’?
- Essentially, a Deputy has the same role as an attorney, being that they take control of someone’s financial affairs when they have lost capacity.
- A deputy however is not chosen by you. They are appointed by the Court of Protection.
- Unlike an attorney, a Deputy has to report to the court on an annual basis and complete an annual account of the financial transactions they have been involved in managing.
- Applying to the Court of Protection to become a Deputy Will take on average around 4-6 months and is significantly more expensive.
- These costs are fixed by the Court of Protection.
Can a Deputy make health and welfare decisions?
Unlike a power of attorney, you cannot appoint a Deputy to manage your general health and welfare. They are only appointed to manage your financial affairs.
A Deputy can apply to the Court for permission to make one off, specific decisions about someone’s health and welfare, but the court does not often grant permission unless it is in the best interests of the person involved.
Other reasons to apply to the Court of Protection
- If an attorney wants to make a gift (other than customary gifts) they need to seek permission from the Court. Permission to make gifts is not often granted by the Court.
- If a property is owned jointly and one of the joint owners has lost capacity, an application may be needed to seek permission to sell the property.
If you would like a quote for Court of Protection or to find out more about our services, please contact:Jennifer Wilkinson - firstname.lastname@example.org
Our clients say...
Thank you for the great service during our house selling/buying process. It is the 2nd time we have used you for a house move and once again you have been really easy to deal with, efficient, quick to respond to queries etc……So really I just wanted to say thank you to you and the team for making the process nice and stress free (and quick!) for us. It is much appreciated and we Will continue to recommend you to friends.
Thank you so much for dealing with my sale and purchase. I was very pleased with the way you dealt with my concerns and the online system was very impressive.
This is just a huge thank you for all your professionalism, hard work and total kindness during my flat purchase.
As always the service we have received from Cook and Talbot has been first class. As you know this has not been the easiest and most straightforward of sales and purchases, and your prompt responses to queries and requests have been most helpful.
May I take this opportunity to thank you and your staff for dealing with all my transactions smoothly and efficiently and I am now very pleased to be in my new home at last.
I just wanted to thank you for the efficient and excellent service we have received from you regarding the sale and purchase of our property. The experience was not at all stressful (which it has been in the past) and I´d like to extend our thanks to you for that!
I wanted to thank you so much for overseeing my application for remortgage so brilliantly. From the beginning to completion you were consistently helpful, informative and reassuring and kept me up to date with each step of the process, which was greatly appreciated. I was really impressed and delighted that you made the whole thing so straightforward and painless especially as my previous legal experience when securing my original mortgage was anything but.
Excellent service and advice as usual in what proved a slightly difficult case.
Thank you to all your staff for the smooth sale of my property……I would have no qualms about recommending your firm of solicitors to any of my friends…
Thank you very much for the attention to detail and the speed in which you work for us…
We would like to say a huge thank you for all your efforts during our recent house purchase. Your professional service and constant updates has ensured that the process was as stress-free as possible and for that we are very grateful. We would have no hesitation in recommending your services for the future”